DBAN or Darik’s Boot and Nuke is the best secure deletion software available for free download! It can format hard drives (HDD), solid-state drives (SSD) and even server storage. This program will make sure every byte of data is removed from your computer when it is run. However, it does not guarantee it. It is a completely open-source program and safe to use. It is recommended by many top security experts. Your data will not be recoverable once it has been erased using DBAN.
What is secure deletion software?
Secure deletion software is a computer program that is used to remove sensitive data. These programs permanently remove data from your hard drive. This data cannot be recovered once deleted using such tools. There are many benefits to using these apps compared to using system default options. If you just press delete on a folder or a document and remove it. Someone rogue with computer knowledge and the right resources can recover the data easily. The data is overwritten using 0 and 1. This renders the data and makes it impossible to be recovered.
Why is DBAN the best data erasure software?
- It is free for personal use.
- The full source code is available to the public and is open source.
- Permanently erases your storage devices using pseudorandom numbers.
- Can be easily booted from a flash drive, diskless, over a network, CD, or DVD.
- Supports many different hard drive types including SATA, PATA, IDE, SCSI, and SSD (not tested).
- Works on all versions of Windows and works on Linux!
- Alternative to the CLI-based program called Nwipe.
- You can configure DBAN to automatically erase hard drives it detects on a system or a network.
- The clean and simple user interface is CLI-based but easy to navigate.
Should you trust DBAN? (Partially)
Yes, you can trust this program to delete your data. However, it is only intended to be used by only you and not on a commercial level. It makes it harder for someone local or with little knowledge to recover data deleted using Darik’s Boot and Nuke software. It also states on its website that it does guarantee full erasure of the hard drive. You can use it to erase virtual machines, SSDs, Servers, Laptops / PCs, and smartphones. They do state that it does permanently erase data but without any proof or certificate.
Some downsides of DBAN HDD Erase
As simpler as it looks and as much trusted and recommended it is by individuals on many different forums and sites. It lacks many useful and modern features! Below is a list of all the features unavailable in DBAN:
- No UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Support).
- There is no type of user authentication or password protection.
- No support for dismantling RAIDs.
- It does not provide any globally recognized certifications and compliance e.g. DoD, NIST, NATO and CESG.
Benefits of downloading Darik’s Boot and Nuke
- Erases data so it is impossible to recover using data recovery programs.
- It does not require you to pay anything to use it on your personal computers.
- Easy to use and works on all platforms and operating systems.
- Destroys all precious personal data from your devices before you sell them or hand them in for repairs.
How do you use DBAN to secure erase your hard drive?
It’s not that hard to use this software to format your HDD. However, it is not a graphical user interface it is command-line based. You must make sure you follow the correct procedures in order to fully remove all the data from your storage.
You can boot DBAN using a flash drive or a CD. It will give you several options to choose from at the starting screen. You can read our comprehensive tutorial on how to use DBAN. This will teach you step-by-step the full wiping process.
Recommended to read:
- McAfee Security Scan Plus: What is it? Should you install or uninstall it?
- How Secure and Safe is Dropbox? How Dropbox protect your private data?
- What is the Best Secure and Safest Web Browser (Ultimate Browser Comparison)
Download DBAN 2022 Free – The all-in-one solution for data removal
Note: The below button will redirect you to the site where your download of DBAN software will automatically begin. This is the freeware version, there is also a Pro/Paid version called ‘Blancco Drive Eraser‘ that you can buy.
- Version: 3.1.0 – latest version.
- Author: Darik Horn.
- Developer website: DBAN.org.
- Release date/update date: 05 January 2022.
- File extension: ISO.
- OS support: Microsoft Windows (10, 11, 8.1, 8, 7) and Linux distributions.
- License: GPL (open-source).
- File size: 15.9 MB.
Note: This page has been updated with the newest version of DBAN to reflect the new changes and product improvements.