Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU Usage error comes in as a free process that seemed to be a part of Windows 7, 8, and 10 that is run and can collect and send the usage as well as performance data to Microsoft.
Now many users have a debate overusing it as they find it causing high CPU or disk usage and worry about its safety and have a question in mind that either it is worth disabling it or not. This article will teach you how to fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU Usage.
It is also known as compattelrunner.exe. It is a Microsoft compatibility appraiser that is seemed to be a part of Windows 7, 8, and 10 systems. In this, the executive file is used to collect and send information related to the usage performance to analyze the user experience and further improve it.
Files that have been described help Microsoft to identify the compatibility issues as well as ensure the compatibility while installing the latest Windows operating system version. This is used to eat the CPU by scanning the computer files and check their compatibility with the windows 10 if the update is initiated.
The file first got introduced to users of Windows 7 and 8.1 with the windows KB2977759 update. BY DEFAULT, The executable file is enabled to run; however, it can be stopped by the user anytime on Windows 10.
The file can be seen in C: \windows\system32 folder and is signed digitally. Moreover, the owner of the data is a trusted installer. When you want to modify it, then it most likely results in “Access Denied” error as it is read-only. To bypass such a mistake, you are required to take ownership of the process. There is another method that does not involve the detection of the file is disabling scheduled tasks that are responsible for the telemetry Runner launch.
- 1 Why Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Service causes High CPU Usage?
- 2 How to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU Usage Error 2020
- 3 Start By Disabling Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
- 4 Use Windows Group Policy Editor
- 5 Disable Windows Telemetry using Registry Editor
- 6 What else could be causing performance issues?
- 7 Is your Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU Usage Problem Fixed Now?
Why Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Service causes High CPU Usage?
The computer users there on various platforms such as Reddit are seen complaining regarding the CompatTelRunner.exe high disk usage there on windows ten and says that it causes issues in a performance like slowdowns and program crashes.
Moreover, users are very much concerned about their Security and privacy. Now according to Microsoft, there are four levels of the Microsoft windows diagnostic data collection, which include Security, basic, enhanced, and full. Each level differs in the size of the data collected, but a few users wish and choose not to be tracked in any way. We also love our privacy; thus, it is recommended that you disable all these tracking services there on your device.
As nobody wishes to encounter computer system slowdowns and a little privacy indeed does not hurt anyone, therefore we have prepared for you different ways to disable CompatTelRunner.exe theirs on windows.
Keep in mind that if somehow you are not able to remove or disable it, then you can always stop the process through the task manager first. Or this, you need to click right on compatTelRunner.exe and then click on end task.
How to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU Usage Error 2020
Start By Disabling Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
The easiest way to solve this problem is to disable it without even deleting it. This can be for windows 7, 8, or 10. For this, you need to follow the steps below:
- In the first step, you need to launch run windows by pressing the essential windows down and the letter R at the same time on your keyboard.
- Then you need to type taskschd.msc and hit the OK button
- Now you need to expand the folders in the provided order Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience.
- Then you need to find a task by the name of Microsoft compatibility appraiser and click right on it.
- Select “disable.”
- All done!
Use Windows Group Policy Editor
- In the first step to launch Run press Windows Key + R, then type gpedit.msc and hit “OK”.
- Now you need to expand the folders in the provided order Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds.
- Now click double on allow Telemetry and select the disabled option there in the new window that appears. Then click on apply and OK.
Disable Windows Telemetry using Registry Editor
- In the first step, you need to press the Windows key + R at the same time, and in the run prompt, you need to type in Regedit.
- Then you need to press, OK. The user account window shall appear. Hit the yes button
- After this you need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > DataCollection.
- Here you need to click right on the data collection and select New > DWORD (32-bit value). You need to give new value a name. Allow Telemetry and then click double on it.
- After this, you need to change the value of the data to zero (0) and then hit the OK button.
What else could be causing performance issues?
One of the methods that are explained above should have helped you in fixing the Microsoft compatibility telemetry high CPU usage issue. Still, if the users even experience slows down in the system and wish to take an extra step towards the peak computer performance, then you must know how to speed up Windows 10.
Many people have launched complaints regarding the compattelrunner.exe with the 0x8024002e error. If you somehow deal with such failure of the windows update, then you should read more its fixes.
More Windows 10 Fixes you need to read:
- How to Remove Your Phone App (YourPhone.exe) in Windows 10.
- How to Enable “Task Manager Disabled By Administrator or Virus.”
- How to Fix “Kernel Security Check Failure Error in Windows 10.
- How to Find an EXE File of a Program.
Is your Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU Usage Problem Fixed Now?
Performance is always a top priority for us, and anything slowing that down causes an alarm. Today I have shown you how to fix Microsoft compatibility telemetry high CPU usage error so you can continue utilizing typical performance.