Let’s face it! We cannot live without Wifi anymore, can we? No, we cant. We are so connected that we need it all the time for keeping up. Many people have been complaining about their Wifi not working, so we will show you the 9 best ways to Fix Wifi Connected But No Internet Access. This solution works for Windows 10, Windows 11, and Windows 7.
It is often seemed to be a very dreadful and tough situation when you have the Wifi connected but no internet access error. Now, this issue can be related to your operating system setting or even the router. Over the past few years, we have often seen this “Wifi Connected but no internet error,” and we have put together for you a step-by-step guide to help you fix such a problem. Now the question that we get is where to look for. Well, you need to look at two places:
- The router
- The device itself
- DNS Issue
- Cache Issues
- The ISP
- Network Drivers
If you do not see your internet connection to different devices connected to the network, then there might be a chance that there is a problem with your modem or router. Moreover, you can also have a quick look at the ADSL cable to see whether it is twisted or broken.
If somehow the internet is not working on a single device, then are might be chances with the adaptor of the Wifi that is giving the device a tough time communicating with the router. Follow through the guide to get to know about different ways to fix the Wifi that is connected but with no internet error.
- 1 9 Best Ways to Fix Wifi Connected But No Internet Access Error in Windows 10/11
- 2 Check the modem/router light – Green is good, red is bad
- 3 Restart your Router or Modem – Turning on and off is key
- 4 Check your Antivirus or Firewall Programs
- 5 Check ISP Status
- 6 It’s always DNS – Flushing your DNS can fix it too
- 7 Use Windows Built-in Troubleshooting
- 8 Call your ISP – Final Hope
- 9 Change DNS Providers
- 10 Check and Fix your Network Drivers
- 11 Is your Wifi Connected but no Internet Error Fixed now?
9 Best Ways to Fix Wifi Connected But No Internet Access Error in Windows 10/11
We have compiled for you different ways in which you can fix your Wifi connection, but there is no internet access error. These are as followed:
Check the modem/router light – Green is good, red is bad
Now there may be a problem there with your internet connection despite the different devices that are connected. To confirm this, you need to check the WAN light there on the router to make sure that it is blinking. You need to make sure that the WAN light is not always on or entirely off
Ideally, in a few cases, the DSL lights need to be turned ON, whereas the Wifi indicator lights must blink. If you do not know how you are going to check it, then you can contact the ISP’s customer care service and confirm the ongoing internet issue. You need to ask them how much time it shall take to fix such an underlying problem.
Restart your Router or Modem – Turning on and off is key
The most common that is done by most people is restarting the internet device. The reboot method is used to force the network devices to refresh their IP tables as well as reload the configuration files. For this, you need to turn off both the modem and the router in case you have one.
Then you need to wait for about 30 seconds before giving it a restart, plus you also need to restart your computer system to make sure that things are clean. Once the devices get reset, you can try to reconnect again to see if it works for you.
Check your Antivirus or Firewall Programs
In the past, it was thought that antivirus software causes internet problems. For this, it is good that you disable all the antivirus and other security applications such as malware and check to see if it fixes the Wifi connection but no internet error. If yes then you know where to look next, if no then you need to continue further
At this point, we shall recommend you to run a complete or full antivirus and malware bytes scan to be sure that you are not infected with anything dangerous which may be causing such a problem.
Check ISP Status
You can also visit the down detector there from your mobile data and search for your ISP. Now let say that it is AT&T. You can also search for the most popular ISP here and check to see whether their services are down or facing an outage. This is a convenient device that is used to track coverage worldwide; thus, you can check it based on your location.
You can click on the live outage option to get to know whether it is down there in your part of the world. Simple searches on social media websites such as Twitter help to understand if other users are facing issues that are very similar where the Wifi may be connected, but there is no internet.
It’s always DNS – Flushing your DNS can fix it too
At times the DNS cache conflict can also lead to the Wifi connection but no internet access error. You need to flush DNS to be sure that it is not causing any trouble. For this, you need to follow the steps below:
- In the first step, you need to go to the Windows start menu or do (Win Key + R), type in cmd to open the command prompt, and then run it with the admin rights.
- You need to type the following command and then hit the enter button to flush the DNS:
- Now some more command prompt commands may help you solve the Wifi and other issues related to the network issue.
- Then you need to reset the files stored by the windows for accessing the internet:
- Netsh winsock reset
- Netsh int ip reset
- After this you need to release your old IP address and set a new one automatically:
- Ipconfig /release
- Ipconfig /renew
If this does not work, then you can try the following commands after each other:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- nbtstat -R
- nbtstat -RR
- netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
- netsh winsock reset
Use Windows Built-in Troubleshooting
If somehow the internet is excellent on the ISP end and is working on at least one of the connected devices, then there may be chances that there is a problem with the Wifi adaptor. This can be fixed very easily with the help of a built-in troubleshooter that comes along with mac and windows.
You need to click right on the network icon there in the taskbar and select “troubleshoot problems”. Networks shall look for the network problems and fix them as well. If it is not fixed, then it shall let you know what the main problem is. You can search for the solution either online or ask us the question in the comments below.7.
Call your ISP – Final Hope
It is indeed the job of the ISP that is the internet service provider to make sure that you are connected with the internet all the time, mainly if they have provided the modem or the router. If none of those mentioned above methods have worked, then you need to call ISP and tell them the exact problem. They shall be providing you with the on-call instructions to fix the problem. If they are not able to fix it on call, then you can also request them to send an agent to inspect the device.
Change DNS Providers
Most of the time, the Wifi connection but no internet error can be solved by merely changing DNS servers. Automatically, your computer is configured to automatically get its IP address and DNS from your router which uses DNS provided by the ISP as default. The ISP DNS can go down, causing your Wifi not to work. A simple change of DNS providers from using Google Public DNS or Cloudflare DNS can fix this.
Here is how you can change your DNS on PC:
- Go into your start menu and right-click on the “Windows Button” and select “Network Connections”.
- Now when the new window opens, click on “Change Adapter options.”
- Now you will see a list of all the wifi networks available, select the system you are having problems connecting to right-click and go to “properties”.
- Now a new window will open find “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and go to “properties”.
- Now look for “Use the following DNS server addresses” and you can type the below DNS servers as per your wish.
I would recommend taking an internet speed test after changing DNS providers to see which one was faster for comparison. According to Cloudflare, their ping is “14.8ms” when compared to Google’s Public DNS which has “34.73ms” ping.
Check and Fix your Network Drivers
Drivers get corrupted all the time due to updates and broken binaries. To fix your network drivers follow the steps below:
- You will need to open the “Run” window, to do this press (Windows key + R) on your keyboard.
- Once “Run” is open type “devmgmt.msc”.
- This will open your “Device Manager”, now scroll down/up and find “Network adapters”.
- You will see a list of the “Network adapters” that are available on your computer. Select the Wireless network adapter.
- Open it and go click on “Search automatically for updated driver software” and it will automatically download, install and fix the network drivers for your wifi.
Other Tutorials to Fix Problems in Windows:
- How to Fix Kernel Security Check Failure Error in Windows 10 & 11.
- How to Fix Netflix Error NW-2-5 Easily for PS4, Xbox, and Smart TV.
- How to Fix “INET_E_Resource_NOT_Found Error in Windows 10/11.
Is your Wifi Connected but no Internet Error Fixed now?
I hope I have not bored you with so much information regarding how to fix Wifi connection but no internet access error in Windows 10/11, Windows 7, and Windows 8. It is now your turn to tell me which of the steps above helped you fix your Wifi not connecting so It can help others too.