How to Block a Website in Google Chrome Desktop and Mobile? Want to block unwanted sites in Chrome? Blocking a website can be very handy. We are going to show you how to permanently block websites in every platform and device, including Windows 10. According to the results of many reports, it is seen that the most widely used browser out there is Google Chrome. Therefore it is important that you know how to block websites of Google chrome within minutes.
If you want only a particular website to be opened by the user, then blocking sites may also be very helpful. Parental control seems to be the best example of this.
There are many reasons why you want to block certain websites. Some of these are mentioned below:
- It contains malware and viruses
- Try to steal private data
- Carries inappropriate content and need to protect children from it
- Do not want to get distracted by social networking websites while studying or doing important work
- 1 How to Block Websites in Google Chrome Desktop and Mobile Permanently
- 2 Create and use a supervised user account
- 3 How to Block websites on Chrome in Windows 10
- 4 Use a third-party host file editor
- 5 Use Chrome Browser Extensions
- 6 Block Websites from your Internet Router
- 7 Have you blocked any Websites in Chrome?
How to Block Websites in Google Chrome Desktop and Mobile Permanently
There are different methods in which one can block websites on google chrome. Some of the most popular are mentioned below:
Create and use a supervised user account
The best way to block a website on Google chrome is by creating a supervised user account on it and then switching to the newly crafted user. For this, you need to follow the steps below:
- In the first step, you need to open Google chrome
- Then go to settings by using the three dots menu on the top-right, neat the address bar
- Under people, you will see “manage other people.”
- You need to click on “Add Person” and then fill the name of the new user. Keep in mind to tick the “supervise this person” box and then save it
- Once done, you need to go to “Google Privacy Settings” and then go to permissions and click “manage.”
- Finally, you need to add the list of all the website that you need to block (choose appropriate behaviour for URL).
How to Block websites on Chrome in Windows 10
Another way in which you can block particular websites from Google chrome is by completely blocking them from the Windows PC. For this, you need to follow the steps below:
- In the first step, you need to sign in to the Windows machine by using an administrative account
- Once done open the file explorer and go to C:\windows\System32\drivers\etc\
- Then by using notepad or notepad++ you need to open a file named as hosts
- Now add this line for blocking google.com127.0.0.1 google.com
- You need to repeat this for each website that you wish to block. Make sure to place each entry in a separate new line
- Now save the file and reboot your computer system
- Finally, open any browser to see whether the method has worked for you.
Use a third-party host file editor
You can also have third party software like parental control software or anti-virus that can block certain websites on Google chrome for you. You need to sit back and enjoy the ride. Alternatively, you can manually edit the host file as well if you are a technical nerd like me.
Use Chrome Browser Extensions
You can also block websites on google chrome by using the chrome extension. For this, you need to follow the steps below
- In the first step, you need to download an extension by the name of block site from the google chrome web store
- After this, you need to need to go to the particular website that you wish to block. Click right on this and click on “add current site to the blacklist.”
- If you see the following picture, then it means that you have successfully blocked the particular website.
- To make it a bit more interesting and way more protective, you can also redirect the blocked URL instead of being showed as blocked. This will create confusion among the user and he will think that there is something wrong with the computer system. You can achieve this by going to the options of this extension.
- Moreover, for additional security, you can also buy the premium version of the extension to enable password uninstallation process
- Furthermore, you are also able to block websites that carry specific phrases and words by using the “blocked words” option which there in the extension
- The best part you can also block websites for a specific period by using the “active days and time” menu
If somehow you are not interested in the extension that has been mentioned above, then you can always try the blockit extension. Although blockit is not there in the google chrome store, you can download it from any third-party website like SecuredYou. It is effortless to set this extension up and is much similar to the one that we have explained above.
Block Websites from your Internet Router
Such a method is used to block websites on your entire network. Do keep in mind that if you change your router configuration, then it may lead to severe issues and you might need reconfiguration. Therefore it is recommended that before making any changes you keep a backup of your router configuration. Follow the steps below to achieve this:
- In the first step, you need to your router configuration by using its IP address or URL (commonly it would be like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
- Different routers come with varying panels of admin. You need to look for something that indicates URL filter, firewall or parental controls
- Now you need to look for the option to block URL in the admin panel
- You need to add all the URLs that you wish to stick in the settings
- Then follow the instructions and reboot the router if asked
That’s it by following the steps explained above you have now successfully blocked desired websites on your entire network.
Other tutorials for Chrome:
- What is Google Chrome Elevation Service and How to Disable/Stop it?
- How to Completely Disable or Stop Chrome Software Reporter Tool.
- Google Dorks List for 2021 – Google Hacking Cheat Sheet.
- What is the Most Secure and Safest Web Browser of 2021?
Have you blocked any Websites in Chrome?
I hope I have not missed anything in explaining how to block websites on Chrome in Desktop and Mobile. I have shared several methods that are valid and proven to work for blocking unwanted sites in Chromes. The steps I have shared above help you permanently block websites that you do not want to visit or ever opened again.