Do you have a Chromebook? If, Yes. This ultimate guide will show you step by step how to create a bootable USB on Chrome OS for Windows and Linux, specifically Ubuntu.
This will allow you to create a bootable flash drive from your Chromebook laptop. This can be used to install a new operating system or as a recovery stick.
Why create a Bootable USB in your Chromebook running Chrome OS?
- Install a new OS on your other laptop or PC? Why not try a different ecosystem.
- You can install GParted, and manage your partitioning on the Chromebook.
It does not carry any third-party tools to create bootable recovery media. Even it makes the headlines most of the time. Still, it is being used by a lesser number of people. All of this makes the developing applications a bit less beneficial for the devs as of now.
Now what it does is that it merely downloads an image from Google’s server but also allows users to select any OS that is stored locally on their machine. As it is meant to create recovery images by using Mac, Windows, or Linux.
Now, if you have bought yourself a Chromebook with quite some decent specifications and get a feeling that the operating system is holding back, then what you can do is create bootable windows or Linux USB drive as it is the best thing you need for it.
SEE ALSO: How To Create a Bootable USB in Windows 10 (Ultimate Guide).
How to create a Bootable USB in Chrome OS (Ultimate Guide)
- In the first step, you need to insert a USB drive that you want to make bootable.
- Then after this, you need to launch Chromebook Recovery utility from the application drawer:
- In the top right, you need to click on settings and then select use the local image.
- After this, you need to select the image that you wish to flash onto the drive and then hit “OPEN.” It shall not be listed here in case you have not renamed the file.
- Then you need to select your USB drive there from the drop-down menu and then click on continue.
- You shall be given with a warning that all the data on the drive shall be lost. You then need to click on “create new” to begin with the process. All depending on the hardware specifications, the size of the image as well as the read or write speed of your USB, that could take some time.
- Once completed, you need to hit on done.
SEE ALSO: How to Install an Older Version of Chrome Browser?
Chromebook Recovery Utility Download and Troubleshooting
This can be installed there from the Chrome web store or application if you do not have it installed already. Just head over to the web store and search for it. It is an excellent tool in case you missed a step and want to roll back.
General troubleshooting FAQ:
- Chromebook Recovery Utility Not Working?
Fix: Re-install the utility and reboot, this has fixed the not working issue for various users.
2. Chromebook Recovery Utility Not Writing?
Fix: Remove your USB and format it again; make sure to use the correct NTFS or FAT format.
Download Chromebook Recovery Utility
SEE ALSO: How to Delete and Disable Software Reporter Tool in Chrome.
Windows 10 or Ubuntu Images Download
If you are planning to do this, then you might have an image from which you want to boot. In any case, you don’t, and then you can always download the latest Ubuntu 20.04 images. Ubuntu to any other Linux distributions comes in free.
Now, whichever the user has chosen, one thing needs to be kept in mind that recovery utility is not meant to handle the ISO images, plus you would also need to rename the files as well as replace the extensions after the file name.
It’s pretty straightforward!
For example, rename ubuntu-19.04-desktop-amd64.iso to ubuntu-19.04-desktop-amd64.bin or rename Windows-10.iso to Windows-10.bin.
Windows 10 Official ISO Images
SEE ALSO: How To Fix Chrome PDF Not Working – Four Easy Solutions.
More pages for you to read:
- How To Delete and Disable Chrome Elevation Service (Elevation_service.exe).
- Arch Linux Installation Guide – A Step by Step Approach.
- How to Block Websites in Google Chrome Mobile and Desktop Version.
We hope you have enjoyed watching this guide and learned how to make a bootable USB in Chrome OS. We have also shared Chromebook Recovery Utility, which can allow you to make a recovery image and bring back your Chromebook in a working state.
Please tell us any alternative ways of creating bootable Windows USB in Chrome OS. We will add them above.