Facebook is one of the most popular social media sites out there today. Nearly everyone today has an FB account. What we all fear is getting our social accounts hacked! Today we will go through a question asked a lot which is ‘How to secure your Facebook account from hackers?‘ or ‘how to protect your Facebook account from Hackers?. Facebook account security is a serious topic and very important if you are signed up for FB. We will share various methods about staying safe from hackers and other attacks on your social media account.
No one wants their FB account to get compromised because you have friends, family, work colleagues added. It is pretty embarrassing if this happens. The other bad thing that happens is that all your private messages can get leaked or the hacker can read them. Trust me, you do not want this to happen so stay secure! Let’s start protecting your FB account from Hackers. Below are all the steps you will need to follow.
- 1 (Guide) How to Secure your Facebook Account from Hackers (New 2021 FB Security Guide)
- 2 1) Turn on Secure Browsing
- 3 2) Enable Account Login Notifications
- 4 3) Watch out for dodgy links
- 5 4) Turn on Login Approvals on Facebook (Best Security Setting)
- 6 5) Create a password that is strong and hard to guess
- 7 Update: Protect your Facebook account from the new 50 million users data breach
- 8 Is your FB Account Secure?
(Guide) How to Secure your Facebook Account from Hackers (New 2021 FB Security Guide)
How to Protect your Facebook Account from Hackers (2021 Edition)
1) Turn on Secure Browsing
To make sure you are safe and secure while browsing Facebook, you will need to have Secure Browsing turned on. By enabling this option you will limit many of those applications that give you an option for ‘sign up using Facebook’ limited access to your data, and will always ask for approval. It also turns on (HTTPS) so all of your data is encrypted. To enable secure browsing to do the following:
- Open the drop-down menu from the top right and select ‘Account settings‘.
- A new menu will open now select ‘Security‘.
- At the ‘Security Settings‘ page select secure browsing and click ‘edit‘ on the right.
- Now it will expand will show a checkbox, just tick that box and save changes.
2) Enable Account Login Notifications
Login notifications are very useful, as every time someone signs in using your account on Facebook you will receive an email or a notification on FB. Having this enabled will let you know if someone else has access to your account. This will also tell you other information about their location and browser.
To turn on login notifications follow the same steps as above in ‘step 1’ and from the ‘Security Page’ go-to ‘Login notifications’ and just tick that box and save your changes.
There can be a number of various spam links that you encounter online. You need to avoid opening any of these at all costs! There are phishing attacks and malicious software that can be distributed via these fake websites. These links can be sent by anyone to you it can be a friend you added to Facebook or someone you know who has his/her account already compromised. These links can steal your login credentials and can infect your PC with dangerous malware.
So what is a Phishing attack? These attacks are designed to steal mainly login details like usernames and passwords of the victims. The link you open will redirect you to a login page that looks the same as the original login page but instead, it will be fake and will trick you to enter your login information. The malicious links can install keyloggers silently on your PC to watch your keystrokes and steal your login data that way.
To stay safe from such attacks you can follow these account security tips:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the web browser installed at all times. I would recommend you to use ‘Google Chrome‘ because it alerts you to possible phishing and websites with malware.
- Only login using the official URL (www.facebook.com) and do not give your email and password to anyone.
- If you receive a link from a friend ask them before to make sure they actually sent it. Sometimes they are sent from those accounts without the user knowing.
4) Turn on Login Approvals on Facebook (Best Security Setting)
Also known as two-step authentication this is one of the most secure ways you can secure your accounts nowadays. The way it works is that whenever you will want to login to your account it will send a unique code to your phone, and you will need to enter that code in the Facebook app or in the web browser.
It is very secure because whenever someone will try to log in your account from a browser or device that is not recognized it will ask you to prove it. The code is only sent to your phone number and only to you. Without that code, the hacker cannot have access to your account. By enabling this feature you also give yourself extra peace of mind. Below are the steps on how to enable two-factor authentication on Facebook:
- On the top-right corner click a small arrow facing downwards and click on ‘settings’.
- Then select ‘Security and Login’.
- Scroll down to the page until you see ‘Use two-factor authentication’.
- Now click on ‘Edit’ and ‘Enable’ it. That’s it all done!
There are many different ways you can get access to these codes. You can choose from the following:
- Get codes using the ‘Code Generator‘.
- Receive them using normal text messages (SMS) on your phone.
- Using a security key.
5) Create a password that is strong and hard to guess
No matter what is the login for, create a strong password! Passwords can be very easy to be guessed if they are simple things and are based on your date of birth, name, address, phone number or even house address. Below are some tips on how to create a strong password which is also easy to remember.
- Do not use words that are obvious and simple for example, cat, car etc.
- Make sure it is not a word from the dictionary.
- It should have a minimum of 8 characters and a recommended 12 characters.
- Add symbols, numbers, low-case letters, and also capital letters.
Note: This guide also works on the FB app, so you can also follow this guide if you want to know how to secure your Facebook account with mobile.
Update: Protect your Facebook account from the new 50 million users data breach
Facebook has just suffered a massive breach of its users! Hackers have injected malicious scripts into the code of FB and stole login tokens of millions of people.
To protect yourself from token stealing attacks in general and this one just sign out your account from all devices and create a new password!
Note: Only do this if you received a notification on your newsfeed telling you about a security incident.
More Facebook Guides and Pages:
- Is your Facebook Opening slow? Here is how to make it load fast.
- How Hackers are Hacking Facebook Accounts of People.
Is your FB Account Secure?
Social media security is very important. You should secure each and everything that you have online and offline in all ways possible. There are various ways you can secure your online world from encryption to creating strong passwords and so on. Today you have learned How to Secure your Facebook account from Hackers (2021 Edition). This article will help you maximize your security and protect your Facebook account from cybercriminals.
Do let us know if you have found these tips useful, and if you have any extra tips on securing your FB account then please comment below!