Skype had the best video conference quality that was unparalleled. The first thing that came in our mind when we wanted to connect with our friends and colleagues was Skype or Skype for Business. But not anymore!, Communication platform has changed a lot since Microsoft had acquired Skype back in 2011. Now people do not adore it as it was before. This page will be explaining the steps on how to disable and uninstall Skype in Windows 10/11.
We will also be sharing how to uninstall Skype for Business in Windows 10/11. One of the annoying things about skype is that it opens up on its own. It starts opening automatically on a laptop. Do these things sound similar to the things that you are facing? In this guide, we shall help you with how you can get rid of Skype on your computer system. Don’t worry, it will also be stopped on startup.
Ready to uninstall Skype? Take a deep breath!
- 1 How to Stop Skype Starting Automatically on Startup in Windows 10/11 (Disable it forever)
- 2 7 Best Ways to Disable and Uninstall Skype on Windows 10/11
- 3 Uninstalling Skype using Control Panel in Windows 10/11
- 4 Uninstalling Skype using Settings
- 5 Removing All Files and Data of Skype
- 6 Uninstalling Skype Directly from your System Apps
- 7 How to Uninstall Skype using Third-Party Uninstallers
- 8 Have you disabled Skype yet?
How to Stop Skype Starting Automatically on Startup in Windows 10/11 (Disable it forever)
Skype uses a lot of resources of a computer system than it should. If you want skype to be there on your computer system and prevent it from opening up on the startup, then you can easily disable it through the task manager. You can do this in the following manner:
- In the first step, you need to open the task manager application on windows 10
- You can either search for the task manager and then launch it
- Or you can click right on the menu bar that is located at the bottom of the desktop and select the task manager.
- You will see a task manager window.
- Its default tab is “process”, to turn it off skype so that it does not autorun. For this, we need to go to the “startup” tab.
- Now click on the startup tab and scroll down till you see the skype icon. To select that row, you need to click once and then click right on the program and press the “disable” button.
As you follow the above steps accurately, skype will not be able to open up on its own the next time you start your computer system. In this way, you have stopped skype along with other apps from running on windows 10. Still, if you want entirely to remove skype from your computer system, then you need to follow the steps below.
SEE ALSO: How to Permanently Delete your Skype Account.
7 Best Ways to Disable and Uninstall Skype on Windows 10/11
First things first, you need to keep in mind to quit skype early and make sure that its services are not running in the background. The methods are described below.
- In the first step, you need to close down skype. To open it, you need to click on X that is there on the top right corner, which is highlighted in red as you scroll over it.
- Now you will look down to find the skype icon in the windows navigation bar. Now click right on the image and click on quit skype.
- Now you can carry on towards the uninstallation process using one of the following methods.
Uninstalling Skype using Control Panel in Windows 10/11
One of the easiest ways to uninstall skype or any other application is via the control panel. Like this, you shall not be able to delete shortcuts like Skype for Business accidentally. You must know that the skype application is there for both windows and desktop. You can get skype by downloading it from the skype website and installing the app from the windows store.
- Once the skype is entirely closed, you need to go towards the left side of the windows navigation bar and by typing into Cortana’s search bar search for the control panel.
- As the control panel opens up, you need to click on the “uninstall a program” option present on the bottom left side.
- Now to locate skype scroll through the list of programs on your computer system. Now you need to click right on it and select “uninstall.”
- Now windows shall install skype. Once it is done, you shall receive a prompt.
Uninstalling Skype using Settings
You can also uninstall skype by making specific changes in the settings. For this, you need to follow the steps below:
- In the first step, there in Cortana’s search box, you need to type “programs” and then click on the “add or remove programs” option.
- As it opens up, you need to click on apps and features. Now scroll down to the skype application. Now you will see that both versions will appear on the computer system. You need to click on any one of them and click on the uninstall button. As the first is done, you need to do the same with the other one.
Removing All Files and Data of Skype
- It is very much sure that even you have already uninstalled the skype application from your computer system still there are some residual files related to skype that are still there on your computer system. They are even taking up the necessary space. To find and delete them, you need to press Windows + R keys and then type %appdata% in the dialogue box which appears. Note: on most of computer systems the windows system is between ALT and FN.
- As you click on the OK button, the following window shall appear
- Now you need to scroll down and locate skype
- Click right on it and select delete. Keep in mind that this shall delete your chat history also. If however, you want to save the skype history you need to open the file and folder with your skype username inside. What you need to do is copy it and paste that file anywhere else.
- Finally, you need to clean out entries in your registry. Click on the Windows + R keys again. Then type “Regedit” and hit the enter button
- The following file is going to pop up
- Select edit and then find
- You need to type in skype. Fifty different entries shall appear you need to select each one individually.
Note: you need to be cautious when you are modifying your registry as a severe problem may occur. It is considered a good idea to back up the registry editor in Windows 10.
Uninstalling Skype Directly from your System Apps
You can directly uninstall skype if you know where the skype file is located on your computer system. It is stored in the programs folder for many users. Mostly the skype icon we see on the desktop is usually a shortcut, not the actual file that you want to uninstall. For this, you need to follow the steps below:
- In the first step, you need to type skype in the Cortana’s search box there on the bottom left corner
- As the app pops up, you need to click right on it and uninstall
- This method applies to the skype application either you downloaded the installer file from the Microsoft store or skype.com.
How to Uninstall Skype using Third-Party Uninstallers
If from the above options you have not been able to delete skype then you can always turn towards a third-party installer. You have two good options that we have shared. Although they are not free but still they offer free trials that uninstall many programs, including Skype. The third-party installers are as followed:
- IObit Uninstaller – 1st best tool
As you download and install the program, it shall show up a list of all the programs upon startup. You need to type skype there in the search box or scroll down to find it. Once this is done you need to click on the recycle bin icon present on the right side to uninstall it.
- CleanMyPC – 2nd best choice
As you download and install the program, you need to search for the “multi uninstaller” feature through the left panel. Now you will be able to see a list of programs that you have installed on your computer system. Now you need to scroll down to find skype and click on the little box that is present on the left side. When the green uninstalls, a button pops up click on it.
Although we have fond memories of calling and chatting with friends over skype still Whatsapp and messenger is considered more convenient for video calling and texting. Microsoft ecosystem is the only advantage that skype has over the other social media platforms. Skype usually comes preinstalled, if not highly recommended or easily accessible on a windows computer system.
The point that needs to be highlighted here is that skype is there on our computer system, but its usage has become less. The main reason why we want to remove skype is because of its auto running.
Many people also dislike skype because of its lousy connectivity, outdated User interface, and pushing a message-based platform in spite of focusing on what made it a big name: video calls. For this and many other reasons, Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp are considered to perform well.
Have you disabled Skype yet?
In this guide, we have explained how you can thoroughly uninstall and disable skype from windows 10/11. This tutorial also helps you delete skype for business. Skype has been less of an interest for many of us recently, do not get me wrong it’s still great and works fantastic but other calling and chat apps like Whatsapp, Viber and Messenger have more preference.