There are many uses of the adobe flash player like it can increase the opportunities for dangerous yet malicious hackers to compromise your computer. There are many ways in which you can secure and protect yourself from such attacks by enabling click play, for instance, is one of them. This makes sure that the flash-based elements only load on your command in your browser. This article covers:
- How to update Adobe Flash Player in Windows 10/11, 8 and 7
- How to remove/uninstall Adobe Flash Player in Windows 10/11, 8 and 7
Well, this is not all that you can do!! First things first, you, by any means, do not want to eradicate or remove the adobe flash player from your computer system. If you’re going to achieve this, then you have to think a bit out of the box that is regarding the updates. They might ban your digital life, but software updates are more crucial for staying afloat online than whatever OS is installed.
First, let’s see how you can check whether you are running on the latest and safest version of adobe flash.
Check your Adobe Flash Version
If somehow you are not sure which version of adobe flash you are on or either you have got flash installed or not just follow the steps below:
- In the first step, you need to visit the help page of adobe
- Once there, you need to click on the yellow “check now button.”
- Wait for like a few seconds
- You shall be presented with a brief confirmation if you have the latest version running else you will be shown an alert that will instruct you to download the newest version directly.
Uninstalling Adobe Flash Player Updates
Google made it towards the technology headlines as it announced that the Chrome web browser will now contain an automatic update build for flash player. Paul Berlin, back in the 2000s, made this move to create a safe experience for all. If you are someone who does not use Chrome or are wondering how you keep your flash updates on the top, then you need to follow through the article
If you need to make sure that you have got the latest version of Flash installed, then follow the steps below:
- In the first step, you need to visit the download page of flash player and install the latest version
Note: You need to be sure to un-tick any added extras or special offers that may appear
- You can also look at behind the scenes the flash player settings. If you are looking for an easy way to invoke the parameters screen, then you need to click right on an element of flash content on a website.
- Content menu shall appear, in hear a click on the global setting
- You will now see on your screen the flash player settings manager
- You need to look for the advanced tab to check your update preferences or force another check of the new and latest version
- If it is not already, then it is recommended to set your update preference to “allow Adobe to install updates” automatically. Once done in this way, the critical security patches are installed without user interference. However, you are informed by adobe before installing any non-emergency updates
- As you allow flash to “notify to install updates,” it is the only best and acceptable alternative where the flash plug regularly checks for new versions and prompts you as well to install any patches. Now this applies to different types of updates regardless of urgency
- When you select “never check for updates,” it means that you can check for the new updates only from the Adobe website. In this, you shall not be notified regarding any vulnerabilities or important updates that patch them.
READ ALSO: How to Hack and Cheat in Flash Based Games.
How to Uninstall Adobe Flash Player in Chrome
You can disable the flash from running inside the browser that you use, but we recommend for you to have a complete installation if you want to rid your computer system from it for good. Moreover disabling flash from the browser may not be enough to protect your computer system
If you use different browsers on your computer windows, then you may have more than one version of Flash installed though it is easy to remove them all in one fell swoop
- In the first step, you need to open the control panel
- Then select “programs and features” to view your list of applications installed
- In here you shall see flash plug-ins that you have installed
- Now, in turn, you need to select each of the plug-ins that are associated with the Adobe Flash Player and then click on uninstall.
The users of Mac OS X can use the same process. You will need to download the appropriate flash uninstaller from Adobe this time
- You need to locate the downloaded disk image (ending with “.dmg”) and then double click on it
- After this, a new window shall appear
- Double click on the adobe flash player uninstaller app to get on with
- You might receive a prompt that asks you for confirmation whether you would like to open the app.
- Click on the open to bring up the installer
- After you get asked for your username and password, the uninstallation process shall begin with
- You might also receive a prompt that confirms whether you would like to open the app or not
- You need to click on the open to bring up the uninstaller
- The uninstallation process begins to take place after you are asked for your username and password
The uninstallation process usually varies, especially when you are using a Linux-based distribution. Following are the most commonly used commands
|sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree –uninstall
You need to run the following command line if you are using a browser that is Firefox-based:
|sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer
How to Remove/Uninstall Adobe Flash Player in Windows 10/11
Before going any further, you need to sign in with your administrative account and disable the flash player in Microsoft edge browser and internet explorer, do it even if you are not using it or you can also set it as the default browser.
- In the first step, you need to launch the Edge browser
- Then go to settings
- Select advanced settings
- Now move the slider against the “use adobe flash player” towards off position
- After this you need to open the file explorer and go to the following address C:\windows\servicing\packages and then check the following entries:
- Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64….(version number of the Flash Player)
- Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-WOW64-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64….(the version number of the Flash player #)
- Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-onecoreuap-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64…(version number of the Flash Player)
You need to note the names of these adobe flash packages:
- Now you need to open the registry editor by opening the run dialogue box.
- Now enter in its empty field exe. Once done, hit the enter button. You can watch our article on how to find a program’s executable file.
- Click right on the three keys which carry the above three names, individually, one after the other and then select permissions
- You need to enable full control for administrators’ accounts by ticking Allow.
- Then click on OK
- Now you need to select each of the three keys one after the other and then select visibility DWORD there on the right side
- Then click right on visibility and change the value from 2 to 1
- You need to repeat this for the other two keys as well
- Once done you will now be able to remove packages by using the ISM utility
- Open an elevated command prompt and execute the following commands
dism /online /remove-package /package name:Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-Package~31bf3856xcad364e35~amd64-10.0.17134.1
dism /online /remove-package /package name:Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-WOW64-Package~31bf3856ad3bfgh64e35~amd64-10.0.17134.1
dism /online /remove-package /package name:Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-onecoreuap-Package~31bf3856ad45364e35~amd64-10.0.17134.1
- This shall remove everything inside the Macromedfolder under System32 as well as the SysWOW64 folders.
- After this, you need to restart your system.
- How to Download Torrents with Internet Download Manager.
- How to Disable Incognito Mode in Google Chrome.
- How to Downgrade Google Chrome and Download Old Version.
Have you uninstalled Flash?
Let us know if you have decided to either update Adobe Flash Player or uninstall it for good. We have detailed various troubleshooting steps for how you can upgrade flash to the latest version or remove flash from Windows 10, 11 or Mac.