There is a particular folder that is there on your computer system by the name of the Startup Folder. This folder is considered unique because whenever a program is placed within it, it runs automatically when you start your computer system. This page will teach you everything you need to know about Windows 10 Startup Folder locations. This program lets you begin essential software’s automatically, and the best part is that you do not need to remember to run it yourself.
It is important to note here that every Windows has its unique feature that reopens the applications that you have had last open. Also, you will learn how to fix Windows 10 Startup missing, not working properly, slow or registry errors. Moreover, this is separate and independent of the startup folder, and if you prefer, you can stop the windows from reopening your last applications as well.
- 1 Where is the Windows 10 Start-Up Folder Located (Exact Location)?
- 2 How to Fix Windows 10 Startup Missing, Empty, Too slow or Not Working – 2020 Edition
- 3 How to Disable Startup Programs in Windows 10
- 4 What is Startup type in Startup options
- 5 Important Programs to Run at Startup
- 6 What programs NOT to Run at Startup
- 7 Over to you
Where is the Windows 10 Start-Up Folder Located (Exact Location)?
We have two startup folders on our computer system. These are as followed:
- Personal startup folder that is located at:
- The other startup folder on our computer system contains programs that run automatically for every user out there. This is located at:
As both the folders mentioned above are buried, the windows include a pair of shortcuts which makes accessing a lot easier.
- You can file explorer window or run the run dialog box by pressing Win + R and then you can enter this to access your startup folder
- For all the users if you want to access the startup folder, you can use the following method:
Shell: common startup
How to Fix Windows 10 Startup Missing, Empty, Too slow or Not Working – 2020 Edition
A lot of many programs out there offer the option to run at startup in their settings. You need to check whether the program you would like to add to startup provides such an opportunity as it is the easiest way to do so. If it does not exist, you can insert any program to startup by adding a shortcut to the windows startup folder. This, however, is not that difficult to do.
For this, you need to follow the steps:
- In the first step, you need to find and locate the executable file for the program that you would like to run at startup
- The most simple and easy way to do this is first to type its name in the start menu and search for it
- As it opens, you need to click right on this and then choose send to > desktop (create a shortcut)
- There is, however, no need to touch the original executable, the alternative shall work for this. If you ever change your mind, then you are allowed to delete the shortcut from the startup folder
- Now go to the desktop and find the alternative that you have just created
- Then open file explorer windows into your startup folder.
- Now drag and drop the icon from the desktop towards the startup folder.
- If you prefer, then you can also cut and paste this by using the Ctrl + X and Ctrl + V short keys.
As now there is a shortcut in the startup folder, you will notice that the next time you log in the program opens automatically by itself.
How to Disable Startup Programs in Windows 10
You need to delete the shortcuts if you see any program in the startup folder that would not run at boot. Thus there are also other ways in which you can disable startup programs. The most common and meaningful way to remove it via the task manager that includes more applications than you shall ever find in the startup folder. When you disable a few items from here, then that helps you a lot when your computer system runs slowly
For this follow the steps:
- In the first step open task manager by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc shortcut keys
- A list will be displayed if you see a simple list of the application then you need to click on the link that says more details. It is present at the bottom to expand the task manager.
- Now click on the startup tab present on the top
- Here all the programs at the startup are available to run
- You can sort them out by names, status or startup impact by using headers
- To prevent any application from running, you need to click on it and then disable it from the option present at the bottom
- You can also add to this tab as many columns as you want
- Wherever you see the name, publisher, etc. click right on it and you shall see more criteria available for this
- Startup type and command line are considered as the two most useful ones.
What is Startup type in Startup options
The startup type is used to indicate whether the startup program is coming from the registry or any folder. Mostly it comes from the record that means a plan is set to run at the startup when you install it or via an option there in its settings. Moreover, the folder indicated that it is present in any one of the startup folders that have been reviewed earlier by us.
The command line is used to indicate where a particular program is located on your computer system. This, however, is very useful, especially we require more information regarding an application. You can jump to this by clicking right at any entry and then choosing an open file location. We recommend you to have a look at our best cmd commands for Windows.
Important Programs to Run at Startup
There are some programs out there that are important to run at the startup. These are as followed:
- Anti-virus Software: the anti-virus software needs to run all the time to perform its particular function
- Backup Software: you do not need to remember to start this every day as the best backup is to set and forget
- Cloud Storage Software: if you are an active user of Google Drive, Dropbox, and such other tools then you should run them at the startup to ensure that they are always up to date
- Regularly Used Software’s: are you protecting your browser by using a VPN? Or are using a clipboard manager to keep track of what is copying and pasting? Any other software like this is the right candidate for running at the startup.
What programs NOT to Run at Startup
There are some programs out there that however, are wasting the resources of your computer system. These are the main factors due to which your order runs slowly at times. These are as followed:
- Chat & Game Clients: if you are using your computer system with the purpose to chat and the game only then these have much load on your time, so it is not worth to appear online to your fellas. So open them when you want to use them
- Apple Software: The worse thing about iTunes is that you must only use this when you are in need. Moreover, quick time is not supported on windows. You do not need either of these runnings as soon as you boot up.
- Adobe Software: you do not require adobe reader and other similar software’s running at startup unless and until you are working in Adobe Creative Cloud Applications all-day
- Manufacturer Bloat Ware: bloatware from HP, Lenovo, and other manufacturers mostly show in your startup programs. You can, however, remove them from the startup and can even un-install them
- Crap Ware: you should delete any toolbars, registry cleaners or similar junk like this as soon as you see it.
After trying all of these still, your computer system gets slow then you need to try other methods to help your Windows 10 boot faster.
Over to you
In this program, we have highlighted for you regarding the startup folder in windows 10. We have discussed how one can add and remove programs from the startup folder according to the desire. Hopefully, this page has helped you fix Windows 10 startup folder not working, missing or empty.
You can use the methods explained above to do most of what you need with the startup folder location and programs. However, advanced users can do one step further. For them, we recommend Microsoft’s tool AutoRuns that allows you to manage startup programs on your computer system precisely the way you want it.