Maltego is a free to download interactive data mining and information gathering tool that is used to see relationships between pieces of information from different sources there on the internet.
It is also used to query different data sources and depict in the form of the graph the relationships between entities like people, companies, sites and documents.
Connections can be founded by using open source intelligence OSINT techniques by querying sources like:
- DNS records.
- Whois records.
- Search engines.
- Social networks.
- Different online APIs and extracting metadata.
With this, users can enumerate domain and network information such as:
- Name of the domain.
- DNS names.
- Whois information.
- IP addresses.
It lets you enumerate people information like:
- Email address related to the user’s name.
- Sites associated with the user’s name.
- Phones numbers are linked with the user’s name.
- Social groups with the user’s name.
- Organizations and companies associated with the user’s name.
- Users can do a simple verification of email addresses.
- Search all blogs for phrases and tags.
- Able to identify links for various sites.
- Extract metadata from files of target domains.
SEE ALSO: OSINT Framework Tools (Latest Updated List).
What can Maltego be used for
- To gather information gathering phase of all work related to security.
- They are used as forensic and data mining applications.
- A must tool for the forensics, security and intelligence departments.
- Saves a lot of time.
- Allows users to work more efficiently and smartly.
- It aids in your thinking process by visually demonstrating interconnected links among items that are searched.
- It provides a powerful search for providing users with smarter results.
- If access to hidden information determines your success, then this tool can help you discover it.
How to Install and Use Maltego (Tutorial)
It is quite easy and straightforward to install it as it uses Java so that it can run on Windows, MAC as well as Linux. It carries an interface with which seeing relationships becomes accurate and instant. It helps to see all the hidden connections. With the GUI, users can see all the relationships quite easily even if they are 3 or 4 degrees away. This is a unique tool as it is sturdy and carries a flexible framework through which customization is made possible. To put the long story short; it is adapted to the user’s unique requirements.
Installation of the Desktop Client
This is a visual interface in which all the gathered information is linked and combined. With this, users can create graphs step by step in an intuitive point-and-click logic. This can be used from four versions to match the scope of the investigation:
Maltego Classes- A commercial version that return 10 thousand results per transform, access to all functions of Maltego, OSINT transforms and commercials hub partners.
CaseFile- This is a free version for commercial use to visualize connections in offline data. It does not require the use of transforms.
Maltego XL- This is a commercial version for doing extensive investigations to view up to 1,000,000 pieces of information.
Maltego CE- This is a community version for non-commercial use. It comes in free once you have registered. It ships with Kali Linus out-the-box.
Maltego New Features
- Users can perform link analysis on up to 10 thousand entities there on a single graph.
- It can return up to 12 entities per transform that are run.
- It carries collection nodes that group entities automatically together with standard features. This allows users to see past the noise and then find the key relationships they are looking for.
- With this, users can share graphs in real-time with different analysts in a single session.
- The graph export options include:
- Entity lists.
- The graph import options include:
- Copy and paste.
- Tabular formats like csv, xlx and xlsx.
What is Data Mining and why it is Important
It is a simple process that involves searching, collecting, filtering and analyzing data. This vast amount of data can be retrieved back from different sites and databases. This is extracted in the form of data relationships, correlations and patterns. As of now we are living in a world of computers. Therefore, it is possible to collect a large amount of data. The collected data can be analyzed steadily and help identify relations and solutions to existing problems.
- Sift through all the repetitive noise there in your data.
- Understand what is essential and after that, make good use of that information to assess outcomes.
- They are making informed decisions.
SEE ALSO: Download CQTools Windows Hacking Suite.
Maltego Download (Latest) – Gather Information with Data Mining
This page explained every aspect of this tool and what it offers. We have also added a brief tutorial and provided a Maltego download option for the community edition below: